A random look at the life and times of Jim Rising recovering radio addict and newspaper columnist.

Friday, February 22, 2008

You are getting sleepy...very sleepy.


I have the usual amount of weird dreams. Most everyone I know has them. Have the seen the ads for the new pill you are supposed to take to make you sleep and have dreams? One of them has Abe Lincoln and a beaver holding a jump rope. Not one of my most common dreams. In fact I just saw a survey that listed the most common things that people do in their dreams. Chasing or being chased ranks first followed by falling (yeah I get that one a lot!) wading or swimming is in there and being invisible rounds out the top four. I have to admit I used the have the invisible dream a lot when I was younger. It had to do with, I am sorry to say, being in girls locker rooms. I don’t have that one anymore. I swear I don’t. But I notice that the one dream they didn’t mention was the one I have most often. It ties in with the falling one and that is of course, flying. They (whoever they are) say that flying in dreams is the wish to escape the ties that bind us here on earth. Sometimes this is a wish for spiritual enlightenment, and sometimes it's merely a wish to escape daily drudgery or responsibilities. That sounds about right. Of course Sigmund Freud believed dreams of flying meant," Nothing else but the desire to be capable of sexual activity," but he thought everything had to do with sex. How much faith can you put in a guy who more often than not had a snootfull of Coke? I wonder what he would have thought about my invisible locker room dreams? I digress. I seem to do that a lot lately. Back to sleeping and dreaming. In recent times I have suffered from bouts of insomnia. I seem to get into a routine where I sleep really soundly about every third night. They (there’s that they again. Who is this they?) say that the real loss suffered when you don’t sleep is the fact that you don’t dream. That we need dreams to stay sane. I can vouch for the fact that I do feel a little less sane when I don’t get a full night’s sleep but I don’t know about the dream part. I mean how can a dream involving Abe Lincoln and a beaver make you saner?
The falling dream especially concerns me. You dream that you are falling and then suddenly wake up scared half to death. The ever elusive they say that if you don’t wake up before you hit the ground that you die. I hope I at least get to break my fall on honest Abe. Or that guy in the deep sea divers suit.



2 comments:

Jim Rising said...

i had a dream early this morning about cars. i was driving a conversion van in Santa Monica with melissa and a few other people in it, and as we pulled out of a hotel parking lot, there was a car accident right in front of us. some car came careening out of a parking lot across the street and broadsided another car moving towards the right (in the lane closest to us). then the car that was the cause of the accident peeled itself from the other car, and started coming after us!

i guess that there were other cars doing the same thing and it was some gang initiation that was going on... because there were a bunch of other similar accidents.

i woke up as i was using my van to push the other car over a cliff.

Ubiquitous said...

Remind me to never drive with again bro...

I had a dream once where i was on a train that was out of control and starting to come off the tracks, finally it came off and went sliding towards a huge wall...

I woke up flying head first off my bed into the dresser/tv in my bedroom.

If you ever want some strange dreams, try taking Chantix : "The most common side effects include nausea (30%), trouble sleeping, vivid, unusual, or increased dreaming, constipation, gas, and/or vomiting. If you have side effects that bother you or don't go away, tell your doctor."

Doc...i vomit every morning, i cant fall asleep and when i do fall asleep i dream of killing santa claus with a beaver while abe lincoln tries to bite me with his wooden teeth...then i wake up and fart.

Boy am i glad i am off that stuff.