A random look at the life and times of Jim Rising recovering radio addict and newspaper columnist.

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Lawyers.

Modern life has all sorts of interesting ways to stress you out that our ancestors didn’t have to deal with.
When Og the caveman had a dispute with somebody he clobbered them over the head with his trusty club and then they were gone. No more dispute. Nowadays of course we are more civilized and instead of clubs we use…lawyers.
20 years ago I had the unhappy experience of going through a divorce. Kids were involved so there were seemingly endless meetings with domestic relations and lawyers were always part of the festivities. My ex-wife chose a legal beagle that I now see almost every day. Now I am sure this is a highly qualified member of the bar. I am positive that he does his job well and is a credit to his profession. I know the fact that he made me crazy back then is my fault and none of his. But I didn’t care for him then and I haven’t warmed to him since. So why do I see him everyday? Well I don’t see him in person. I see his 14 foot high mug on billboards all over town. And I must say he looks the same as he did 20 years ago. And he still raises my blood pressure when I look at his unsmiling face. It takes me right back to those less than pleasant days when I was chewed up and spit out by a legal system endorsed by the Commonwealth. The last time I saw this guy the most vivid memory I took away was the layer of egg he had on his tie. Of course I left those meetings with empty pockets and egg on my face so who came out better?
You have to wonder. What would Og the caveman have done. Put another way. WWOD. What would Og do?
Or then again I could be wrong.

No comments: